Firm ref: 74975
Sol ref: 122048
Our ref: TRI/3213-2010
MICHAEL A LOVERIDGE of CLITHEROE
MICHAEL ANTHONY LOVERIDGE (Ad. 16.06.1954)
Status: Sole Practitioner
REGULATORY SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT
1. Mr Michael Anthony Loveridge agrees to the following outcome of the investigations (references RDC/2372-2009, RDC/3039-2009 and REG/43698-2009) into his professional conduct..
2. In 2009, the SRA received a report that Mr Loveridge had failed to comply with a Court Order of 15 May 2009 requiring him to provide his conveyancing file and other information to the Claimant by 29 May 2009. Mr Loveridge failed to reply to correspondence from the SRA in relation to the matter, although as part of this agreement he has provided certain documentation..
3. In 2010, the Legal Complaints Service (LCS) received a complaint from Mrs L relating to the adequacy of the services provided by Michael A Loveridge. Mr Loveridge failed to co-operate with or respond to the enquiries by LCS and the matter was subsequently considered by an Adjudicator. The Adjudicator found that the service was inadequate and directed that compensation be paid and certain costs were to be waived.
4. In relation to a further matter (REG/43698-2009) Mr Loveridge failed to respond to correspondence from the SRA requiring an explanation from him in relation to an allegation of misconduct.
5. Mr Loveridge makes the following admissions which the SRA accepts:-
- a. In relation to the matter investigated under reference RDC/2372-2009, Mr Loveridge acted in breach of rule 1.06 and 11.02 of the Solicitors’ Code of Conduct 2007 in that he failed to comply with a Court Order of 15 May 2009 requiring him to provide his conveyancing file and additional information in relation to the property.
- b. In relation to the matter investigated under reference RDC/3039-2010 Mr Loveridge acted in breach of rule 20.05 of the Solicitors’ Code of Conduct 2007 in that he failed to cooperate with enquiries from the LCS and failed to respond promptly.
- c. In relation to the matters dealt with under references RDC/2372-2009, RDC/3039-2010 and REG/43698-2009, Mr Loveridge acted in breach of rule 20.05 of the Solicitors’ Code of Conduct 2007 in that he failed to co-operate with enquiries from the SRA and failed to respond promptly or at all.
6. Mr Loveridge is reprimanded in relation to the findings set out in paragraph 3 above.
7. Mr Loveridge agrees that this Agreement may be published by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and that it may also be disclosed to any person upon request or otherwise.
8. Mr Loveridge agrees that he will not act in any way inconsistent with this agreement such as, for example, by denying the misconduct found in paragraph 3 above.
9. If Mr Loveridge acts in a way which is inconsistent with this Agreement all issues may be referred for consideration of his conduct which may result in a disciplinary sanction or a referral to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal on the original facts and allegations and also on the basis that such failure to comply may also constitute a breach of rule 1 and rule 10 of the Solicitors’ Code of Conduct 2007.
10. Mr Loveridge agrees to pay a contribution to the costs of the investigation in the amount of £800 within 14 days of receipt of an invoice from the SRA.
The date of this agreement is 6 January 2011
Michael Anthony Loveridge
Head of Legal Policy
Solicitors Regulation Authority
Solicitors Regulation Authority