Warning: Letter from "Karls & Shepherd Law" and the website "www․karlshepherdlaw․com"
13 June 2019
A letter has been sent to a member of the public from "Karls & Shepherd Law" and the website “www․karlshepherdlaw․com” which falsely claims to be a genuine law firm in London.
What is the scam?
The SRA has been informed that a letter has been sent to a member of the public claiming to be from "Karls & Shepherd Law."
The letter seen by the SRA informs the recipient that "M Phillip Bagwell" has died and that they are entitled to receive an inheritance of "US$10.500.000". It claims that 10% will be sent to charity and the remaining 90% will be split between the recipient and the "firm".
The letter provides the address "Fountayne Business Centre, Floor 3, Broad Lane, Tottenham Hale, London, N15 4AG", the contact number "+44 203 318 4129" and the email "firstname.lastname@example.org." It is signed by "Raymond Shepherd".
The website seen by the SRA provides an email address of "email@example.com" and a fax number of "+44 2039365606". The SRA ID used is 48629 (see below).
The website misuses the name of a genuine firm of solicitors (see below).
Any business or transactions using the email addresses, telephone number and website mentioned above are not undertaken by a solicitors practice or by an individual authorised and regulated by the SRA.
Is there a genuine firm or person?
The SRA authorises and regulates a genuine firm of solicitors called Freeman Box (SRA ID: 48629), the address of which is 8 Bentinck Street, London, W1U 2BJ. The firm employs solicitors called: Trevor Box, Howard Granville, Sam Abrahams, Charlotte Buck, Robert Davis, Noami Greenwood and Effi Cartier. The firm can be contacted on 020 7486 2552 and JF@freemanbox.co.uk.
The SRA authorises and regulates a genuine firm of solicitors called Solomon Shepherd Solicitors Limited. The firm is located at Unit 1, Fountayne Business Centre, Broad Lane, London, NG15 4AG. The firm can be contacted on 0208 801 0214 and at the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Both Freeman Box and Solomon Shepherd Solicitors Limited have confirmed that they have no connection to the matters set out above.
What should I do?
When a firm's or individual's identity has been copied exactly (or cloned), due diligence is necessary. If you receive correspondence claiming to be from the above firm(s) or individual(s), or information of a similar nature to that described, you should conduct your own due diligence by checking the authenticity of the correspondence by contacting the law firm directly by reliable and established means. You can contact the SRA to find out if individuals or firms are regulated and authorised by the SRA and verify an individual's or firm's practising details. Other verification methods, such as checking public records (e.g. telephone directories and company records) may be required in other circumstances.