Decision - Agreement
Outcome: Regulatory settlement agreement
Outcome date: 2 December 2020
Published date: 4 December 2020
Firm or organisation at date of publication and at time of matters giving rise to outcome
Name: British Film Institute
Address(es): 21 Stephen Street, London W1T 1LN
Firm ID: 552852
This outcome was reached by SRA decision.
Richard James Brousson, a solicitor and employee of the British Film Institute, agrees to the following outcome to the investigation of his conduct by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA):
- he is rebuked
- to the publication of this agreement
- he will pay the costs of the investigation of £300
The SRA considers a written rebuke an appropriate sanction because:
- the conduct was reckless as to the potential risk of harm to others
- a public sanction is required to uphold public confidence in the delivery of legal services
it creates a credible deterrent to Mr Brousson and others.
When considering the appropriate sanction in this matter, the SRA has taken into account the admissions made by Mr Brousson and the following mitigation which he has put forward:
- he fully cooperated with the police.
- he has no previous convictions.
he has shown insight for his actions, apologised for his conduct and expressed remorse.
The SRA has also taken into account:
- that the conduct also features several of the mitigating factors in the Enforcement Strategy and Topic Guide, including:
- the offence did not result in any harm to persons or property
- Mr Brousson promptly reported his conduct to the SRA and has co-operated with its investigation.