A new framework for work-based learning
25 October 2007
This consultation is now closed.
A consultation—on a new framework for assessing trainee solicitors' performance in practice—ended on 9 May 2007. If implemented, the new framework will replace the current training contract arrangements.
Our board considered the results of the consultation. Responses were mainly supportive of our proposals. However, a significant proportion of respondents expressed concern about
- the viability of portfolio assessment,
- reduction in the training period,
- confidentiality of portfolio evidence, and
- the possible creation of a two-tier qualification system.
An analysis of responses is available to download below.
After considering the responses, the board on 31 May announced that a pilot of new work-based-learning arrangements would begin in 2008, rather than in September 2007 as originally planned.
In October 2007, we issued a statement on the progress of changes to the final stage of solicitor training. The statement is available to download below.
Background information on the consultation is also available below.
- You can download the discussion paper and its annexes below.
- For information purposes, the consultation questions are included in the discussion paper.
- You can download an analysis of consultation responses below.
- For further background, download the SRA's strategic framework for the education, training and professional development of solicitors – Education, training and development for solicitors: The way ahead. Please note that this document was not the subject of consultation.
- Statement on the progress of changes to the final stage of solicitor training – October 2007 (PDF 33K)
- Consultation on a new framework for work-based learning: Analysis of responses (PDF 115K)
- A new framework for work-based learning - Consultation discussion paper (PDF 71k)
- Annex 1 - Day one outcomes (PDF 45k)
- Annex 2 - Work-based-learning standards (draft) (PDF 29k)