Updated 26 February 2016
People Strategy Committee
Terms of reference
Subject to the Law Society Group Remuneration Committee’s role in respect of:
- advising the Council on general pay policy and terms and conditions of employment for all employees of the Society; and
- making recommendations to the Business and Oversight Board on the remuneration and terms and conditions of the Chair and other members of the SRA Board:
- 1.To advise the Board on matters to do with the effective management of human resources, with respect to the SRA’s people strategy and human resources policies and procedures including those designed to develop a more diverse workforce and promote an inclusive workplace culture. To provide assurance that these are robust and relevant to the needs of the organisation.
- 2.To advise the Board on appointment, remuneration, performance and appraisal processes and contractual matters relating to Board Members, committee members, external advisory members and the Senior Management Team.
The Chair and Board members
- In accordance with the Protocols established under GR regulation 30, to design and administer the processes for:
- the appointment and reappointment of the Chair and members of the Board;
- the suspension and removal processes for members of the Board;
- the performance and appraisal framework for the Chair and members of the Board.
- To review the protocols at least annually and recommend any changes to the Board.
- To ensure that an assessment of performance for each Board member (including the Chair) takes place within the agreed framework.
- To advise and support the Chair on any matters relating to the above, including:
- the application of the protocols, policies or procedures in relation to an individual Board or committee member;
- succession planning for the Board.
- To advise the Chair on recommendations to make to Remuneration Committee on contracts and remuneration of Board members.
- To advise the Board on the contracts and remuneration of external advisory committee members.
- To design and administer the processes for the appointment, reappointment, appraisal, suspension and removal processes for external advisory committee members.
- To design and administer the process for the appointment of the Chief Executive.
- To ensure that an assessment of talent management and succession planning takes place for the Chief Executive and the senior management team.
- To determine the pay policy, terms and conditions and remuneration framework for the Chief Executive and the senior management team.
- To determine the performance management and appraisal framework for the Chief Executive and senior management team, and ensure that any award of bonus and incentive payments take place within the agreed framework.
Human resources and people strategy
- To review HR polices and to provide assurance to the Board that these are appropriate for the needs of the organisation and include appropriate strategies for leadership and management development, talent management and succession planning.
- To review HR policies and our strategic approach to EDI within the organisation, to ensure that we promote and develop a diverse and inclusive workplace
- To review reports on HR management information and the SRA's culture change programme.
Two Board members
Frequency of meetings
Four times a year