Equivalence to a degree
Who can apply
Applicants who wish to demonstrate that their work experience and general standard of education is equivalent to a UK degree (level 6 - an undergraduate degree).
To apply for an equivalent, you will need to prove:
- a sufficient standard of general education and learning (Level 3 equivalent of the Regulated Qualifications Framework)
- work-based learning in support of your application.
You do not need to apply for an equivalence if you already have a level 6 degree/diploma. This will be checked when you apply for admission.
If you are a CILEx member with a level 6 qualification, you do not need to apply for an equivalence. Find out more about CILEx members becoming a solicitor.
Evidence we will need
You will need to tell us about:
- your general education and diplomas
- your work experience and where this was completed
General education and diplomas
If you are including a qualification gained outside the UK, it must be equivalent to either a UK degree or equivalent UK qualification. Please confirm it is equivalent through a UK NARIC Statement of Comparability before submitting your application.
For all applicants, you will need to upload certified copies of your qualification or certificates, as well as the UK NARIC Statement of Comparability (if applicable).
Work experience and where this was completed
For work-based experience, you should provide:
- your job role
- your duties and responsibilities
- details of any training or courses completed
- how your work was appraised or assessed.
You must include a detailed reference from your employer in support of your application.
Guidance for referees
You must make sure that your referee(s) have read this information.
- be for the period of experience claimed
- be written for the purposes of this application and dated within the last three months
- include examples from the referees of their direct knowledge of your work
- confirm that the referee has read your application and that they corroborate your experience
A general employment reference is not sufficient because it will not include the detail that we need.
The fee for this application is £160. You can pay by debit or credit card.
Making your application
You will need to make your application by applying online in mySRA.
First, you will need to create an account. If you already have a mySRA account, you will need to log in.
Once logged in, select ‘Start new applications’ and ‘Equivalence to a degree'. You will then need to download the form on the right-hand side of the ‘Getting Started’ page.
You may find it useful to have this guidance open in a separate device or browser window to help you complete the form.
Once completed, to upload your form go to ‘Start new applications’. Once again, select 'Equivalence to a degree' and click on ‘Start Application’ at the bottom of the page. You can then upload the form and click submit.
If you cannot see 'Equivalence to a degree' in this folder, please check in ‘My individual applications and documents’ instead.
We aim to let you know our decision within 90 days from receiving your application.