Scam alerts round-up
Overview of recent scam activity
Our round up highlights the latest high-risk scams for both members of the public and solicitors.
We want to help people make well-informed choices about using legal services. As well as supporting solicitors to help keep their firm safe.
In the last three months from 1 August 2023 to 31 October 2023, we have published 81 scam alerts.
We have set out below a summary of the different platforms that have been used in these scams.
Inheritance entitlement to money (7)
- Correspondence and website misusing the name of 'NH Solicitors'
- Email misusing the name of John Kent Solicitors
- Emails claiming to be from Baehrs Solicitors
- Email from Nicola Kersey claiming to be from Hetheretons Solicitors
- Email misusing the name of Slater Heelis
- Emails misusing the names of Sophie McKelvey and Irwin Mitchell LLP
Bogus firms (8)
- Website claiming to be a law firm called 'Al-Zamil' or 'Alzamil Law Firm'
- Website misusing the name of ABK Solicitors Limited
- Website for 'P & R Law Chambers'
Other (eg. documents, telephone calls and websites) (24)
- Letter misusing the name of Farrer & Co LLP
- Document from 'My Lawyer' claiming to be a law firm.
- Telephone calls misusing the name of Cheshire Estate & Legal Limited (CEL Solicitors)
What you should do
Members of the public
- Check that any unexpected correspondence received is genuine - particularly if it asks you to provide personal information, funds or informs you of new bank details - by contacting the law firm directly by reliable and established means.
- You can Contact us to find out if a solicitor or law firm is regulated and authorised by the SRA.
- You may also need to verify details independently, such as checking public records (eg. telephone directories and company records) in some circumstances.
Solicitors and law firms
Useful resources to help keep your firm safe:
Last updated: November 2023 | Next update due: February 2023