Overview of scam activity
Our round up highlights the latest high-risk scams for both members of the public and solicitors.
We want to help people make well-informed choices about using legal services. As well as supporting solicitors to help keep their firm safe.
In the last three months, from 1 November to 31 Janaury 2021,we have published 56 scam alerts. This is a decrease in the scam alerts that we published in the previous three months.
We have set out below a summary of the different platforms that have been used in these scams.
Inheritance/Entitlement to money
4 alerts in 3 months.
- Emails misusing the name of Nick Atkins of Hogan Lovells
- Emails from "O Brien Wright LLP Solicitors"
- Emails misusing the name of Michael Lamb of Morecrofts LLP
26 alerts in 3 months. Examples include:
- Emails misusing the names of Ghulam Abbas and Imtiaz Ahmed Ranjha of Sky Solicitors Limited
- Emails have been sent misusing the name of Natasha Moore, a Chartered Legal Executive at Woodfines LLP
- Emails misusing the name of 'Ince Gordon Dadds LLP' and 'John Biles'
17 alert in 3 months. Examples include:
- The website "www․chaddhalawfirmltd․com" and emails from "Chaddha Law Firm Ltd"
- The website "https://www․lynchlegal․co․uk" is falsely replicating the website of Plexus Legal LLP
- The website "www․scottduff․info" is falsely replicating the website of Scott Duff & Co Solicitors
Other: for example, telephone calls or documents
9 alerts in 3 months. Examples include:
What you should do
Members of the public
- You should check any unexpected correspondence received is genuine (particularly correspondence asking you to provide personal information, funds or informing you of new bank details), by contacting the law firm directly by reliable and established means.
- You can contact us to find out if a solicitor or law firm are regulated and authorised by the SRA.
- You may also need to independently verify details, such as checking public records (e.g. telephone directories and company records) in some circumstances.
Solicitors and law firms
Here are some useful resources to help keep your firm safe.
- Read our priority risk on information security and bogus firms.
- Get practical help from our 'In the shadows: Risks associated with bogus firms' report.
- Our latest report on information security includes advice on how firms can keep cyber-secure.
Last updated: 2 February 2021 | Next update due: 2 May 2021