Instructing a solicitor
It's important that you feel confident and well-informed, and that you are well-prepared before you start to instruct a solicitor or lawyer to make sure you get the best outcome, so we've prepared some information about
- the best way to choose a solicitor or other legal service provider
- useful tips for getting the best from your solicitor
- what to expect from a solicitor regulated by us
- costs, including legal aid and other sources of legal advice; and
- some common legal terms you might come across.
For a quick introduction to using legal services, read our leaflet Thinking of using legal services? What to expect (PDF, 4 pages, 511K). This information is also available in a shortened format (PDF, 2 pages, 498K) and several community languages.
You can find key facts about other types of lawyers and common legal problems such as going to court, family disputes, employment problems on the Legal Choices website.