Certificate of attestation

If you apply for registration as a European lawyer in another jurisdiction, you may need a certificate of attestation.

Find out more

A certificate of attestation states:

  • your name
  • your SRA number
  • your admission date
  • that you hold a current practising certificate (We may disclose any conditions on it)
  • whether you have findings and orders against you (We may include them)
  • your address (This must already be on record with us. We will include the primary address from your mySRA unless you tell us otherwise)
  • that you have not been struck off or suspended from practice
  • that there are no pending disciplinary proceedings against you.

Who can apply

  • Solicitors admitted to the roll of solicitors in England and Wales and holding a current practising certificate.
  • We accept third-party requests for this certificate. Solicitors must be on the roll and have an up-to-date work address in their mySRA.

Applying for yourself

Payment is made by credit or debit card as part of your application.

  • £1 per application
  • VAT is not applicable if requests are made outside of the United Kingdom

Applying for someone else

If you are an authorised signatory or organisation contact and your organisation has an existing arrangement with us, you can pay by BACS.

  • You must be on the roll of solicitors in England and Wales to apply. If you are not on the roll, find out how to restore your name to the roll.
  • You must hold a current practising certificate.
  • You must have an up-to-date address in your mySRA.
  • If you are requesting the certificate on someone else’s behalf, ask them to confirm the details above.

You will be able to download your certificate once your application has been approved.

Apply for a certificate of attestation (CAT)

Log in to mySRA to apply, go to start a new application