Disclosure and barring service (DBS) checks for beneficial owners, officers and managers
30 January 2020
New legislation on Anti-Money Laundering came in on 10 January 2020 that will affect new beneficial owners, officers and managers (BOOMs) and BOOMs switching firms. When a BOOM applies to us for approval, we will need:
- proof that they do not have any criminal convictions that would prevent them from becoming a BOOM
- this proof to be in the form of a basic disclosure and barring service (DBS) check
- the basic DBS check to be no older than three months on the date of application.
Read more about our work as a professional body supervisor under the Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds (Information on the Payer) Regulations 2017 Amended (the regulations).
Application and obtaining a DBS check
You will need to have your DBS check result when you apply as a BOOM or are switching firms as a BOOM. It must not be older than three months when you submit the result to us.
You can apply for a basic DBS check:
- as an individual through the DBS service
- as an employer through the DBS service
- through one of the responsible organisations registered with the DBS to carry out checks.
If you already carry out DBS checks on your staff, you may have a relationship with one of the responsible organisations. You should contact them to clarify how you may provide results of DBS checks to us.
Submitting evidence to us if your DBS check is clear
If the result of your DBS check is clear, you only need to share the result with us by completing and submitting an FA10 or FA10b.
What to do if you have obtained your DBS check from the Disclosure & Barring Service
We need the last six digits of your certificate number and a unique share code.
Please do not use the share code to view your certificate as this will invalidate the code, and we will not be able to accept your application.
How to get a share code
To get the certificate number and a unique share code, follow these instructions:
- Open the email from the DBS telling you your check is complete. In it, there is a link you can click on to view your certificate and share the result. Click on it and a new webpage in your browser will open.
- Once on this webpage, click on 'get security code'. A secure code will be sent to your preferred method of contact – either your phone or email.
- The next stage of the process is 'Check your phone'. Enter your code in the field that appears and continue.
- In the next stage, choose the option 'Share your result with someone else' and continue.
- The 'How to share your details' stage will give you the last six digits of your certificate. Note them down.
- Click on 'Get code' to get your unique share code.
- Once you have both your code and the last six digits of your certificate, email them to us. Please note the code only works for 21 days, so send it promptly in order to avoid further delay.
What to do if you are unable to get a share code
If you have been unable to get a share code please email a copy of your DBS check to us, please include the name of your firm and the SRA id in the title of the email.
What to do if you have obtained your DBS check from an alternative supplier
Send us a copy of the DBS check outcome result along with your application to our authorisation team.
Submitting evidence to us if your DBS check is not clear
You will need to grant us consent to view your certificate so that we can consider whether to authorise you as a BOOM.
To do this, you will need to: