Business Plan 2020/21
8 June 2020
- Download the consultation paper below.
- The deadline for submission of responses was 26 August 2020.
- The information that appears below is for reference purposes only.
About this consultation
We are seeking views on our new Business Plan for 2020-21 which covers the first year of our new Corporate Strategy (2020–2023).
This consultation runs from 8 June 2020 until 26 August 2020. It takes place, in part, alongside the Law Society Group consultation on the level of the practising certificate fees for 2020/21, which runs 8 June 2020 until 10 July 20201. It would be helpful to have responses on the budget component prior to 10 July.
After our consultation closes, our next steps will be to collate and analyse all the responses. We will then publish a final version taking account of the views provided.
We are seeking views about our Business Plan and budget for 2020/21, the first year of our new Corporate Strategy 2020–23. This is the first time we have done so and is part of our commitment to greater accountability and transparency. The response to the consultation will inform our future work and consideration of our proposed budget.
We are, of course, consulting against the backcloth of the Covid-19 pandemic. It will be some time before the implications of that for the users of legal services, the wider economy and the profession itself will be fully understood and you can see that reflected in the plan itself.
The proposed activities across our three strategic objectives are complementary and interlinked. We have also tried to set them in the context of our longer-term work to meet our objectives over the lifetime of the Corporate Strategy, and how we allocate our funding across the objectives. We have included our new principles for setting future Compensation Fund contribution levels.
We want to hear views from the public, the profession and from partner organisations. Please let us know what you think about our plans and budget.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Paul Philip, Chief Executive, Solicitors Regulation Authority
We are keen to hear your views on our proposed Business Plan. Our questions are below.
- Do you agree with the priorities for our work in 2020/21 towards meeting objective one of our Corporate Strategy 2020-23?
- Do you agree with the priorities for our work in 2020/21 towards meeting objective two of our Corporate Strategy 2020-23?
- Do you agree with the priorities for our work in 2020/21 towards meeting objective three of our Corporate Strategy 2020-23?
- Do you agree with the proposed principles for setting the levels of contributions to the Compensation Fund?
- What information about our forward work and budget do you think we should provide in future consultations and how should we present it?
Do you agree with our anticipated budget for 2020/2021 and the proportion we allocate to our work under each of the three objectives?
- The fees cover our funding, as well as the permitted purposes work of the Law Society and levies for the Legal Board, Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal, Legal Ombudsman and the Officer for Professional Body Anti-money Laundering Supervision.