Decision - Employee-related decision
Outcome: Control of non-qualified staff (section 43 order)
Outcome date: 21 December 2020
Published date: 31 December 2020
Firm or organisation at time of matters giving rise to outcome
Name: Access Law LLP
Address(es): 175-177 Shirley Road, Southampton, SO15 3FG
Firm ID: 424422
This outcome was reached by SRA decision.
Order For Publication
In the matter of: Kayleigh Rees of Caerphilly, Wales and formerly of Southampton, Hampshire
A person who is or was involved in a legal practice but is not a solicitor
Kayleigh Rees was employed by Access Law LLP of 175-177 Shirley Road, Shirley, Southampton, SO15 3FG between 9 February 2015 and 19 July 2019.
During her employment with that firm Miss Rees borrowed money from a client. She has not repaid all the money borrowed.
In August 2018 Miss Rees misappropriated client money by making false statements to a client. She persuaded the client to pay her at least £10,300 to which she was not entitled.
In February 2019 Miss Rees fabricated a letter from another firm, resulting in Access Law LLP suffering a financial loss.
It was found that Miss Rees’ had acted dishonestly.
Miss Rees, who is not a solicitor, was involved in a legal practice and has occasioned or been a party to an act or default which involved such conduct on her part that it is undesirable for her to be involved in a legal practice in any of the ways described in the order below.
To make an order pursuant to section 43 that with effect from the date of the letter or email notifying Miss Rees of Caerphilly, Wales and formerly of Southampton, Hampshire of this decision:
- (i) no solicitor shall employ or remunerate her in connection with his/her practice as a solicitor;
- (ii) no employee of a solicitor shall employ or remunerate her in connection with the solicitor's practice;
- (iii) no recognised body shall employ or remunerate her;
- (iv) no manager or employee of a recognised body shall employ or remunerate her in connection with the business of that body;
- (v) no recognised body or manager or employee of such a body shall permit her to be a manager of the body; and
- (vi) no recognised body or manager or employee of such a body shall permit her to have an interest in the body
except in accordance with the SRA’s permission.