Decision - Employee-related decision
Outcome: Control of non-qualified staff (section 43 order)
Outcome date: 6 March 2020
Published date: 18 March 2020
Firm or organisation at time of matters giving rise to outcome
Name: Ahmad & Williams Solicitors Limited
Address(es): 202-203 Alum Rock Road, Birmingham B8 1EU
Firm ID: 438394
Firm or organisation at date of publication
Name: Aman Solicitors Advocates Limited
Address(es): 37 Alum Rock Road, Birmingham B8 1LR
Firm ID: 463037
This outcome was reached by SRA decision.
To make a section 43 order that with immediate effect:
- no solicitor shall employ or remunerate him in connection with his/her practice as a solicitor;
- no employee of a solicitor shall employ or remunerate him in connection with the solicitor’s practice;
- no recognised body shall employ or remunerate him;
- no manager or employee of a recognised body shall employ or remunerate him in connection with the business of that body;
- no recognised body or manager or employee of such a body shall permit him to be a manager of the body; and
- no recognised body or manager or employee of such a body shall permit him to have an interest in the body
except in accordance with an SRA permission.
Mr Mohammed was employed as a paralegal in the immigration department of Ahmad & Williams Solicitors Limited of 201-203 Alum Rock Road, Birmingham B8 1EU from June 2017 until 25 October 2018, when he was dismissed, with immediate effect, for gross misconduct.
It was found that Mr Mohammed had taken money from clients intended for application fees and legal costs for his own benefit. He had not made the applications and he had not returned the money to his clients. He had misled his clients and employer as to the applications.
It was found that Mr Mohammed had acted dishonestly.