Apply to register as a foreign lawyer

Step by step guide

Who can apply

For an application to succeed, four basic requirements must be fulfilled:

  • You must be a foreign lawyer (An RFL is a 'foreign lawyer' who is registered with us and therefore appears on our register of RFLs.).
  • The profession of which you are a member must be approved by us as appropriately regulated.
  • Your own professional rules must allow practice with solicitors in England and Wales.
  • You must satisfy us as to your character and suitability.
  • You must read the full criteria and guidance to check you are eligible.

Get ready to apply

  • Log in to mySRA to apply. You will need to create an account if you don't already have one. You'll need to register a personal phone number when you do this. We'll then send you a text or call to verify your identity every time you access mySRA.
  • You will need to upload a certificate of good standing from each bar, law society or chamber of which you are a member. This whether or not you are still practising as a member of that profession.

How to apply

You will need to update:

  • your account details, professional and personal
  • your existing jurisdiction
  • the authorised body or firm you will be working for.
For those already registered you use the same form to renew your certificate. When applying you will be asked whether you are eligible for reduced fees.

How to pay

You can pay by credit or debit card at the end of your application.

Find about what fees you will pay.

Apply for registration as a Registered Foreign Lawyer

Log in to mySRA to apply, go to start a new application