Apply to register as a foreign lawyer
Updated September 2021
Step by step guide
Who can apply?
For an application to succeed, four basic requirements must be fulfilled:
- you must be a foreign lawyer (An RFL is a "foreign lawyer" who is registered with us and therefore appears on our register of RFLs.)
- the profession of which you are a member must be approved by the SRA as appropriately regulated.
- your own professional rules must allow practice with solicitors in England and Wales.
- you must satisfy us as to your character and suitability.
- You must read the full criteria and guidance to check you are eligible.
Get ready to apply
- Log in to mySRA to apply. You will need to create an account if you don’t already have one.
- You will need to upload a certificate of good standing from the association or society you are registered by.
How to apply
You will need to update:
- your account details, professional and personal
- your existing jurisdiction
- the authorised body or firm you will be working for.
How to pay
The fee is £338. Payment is by credit or debit card at the end of the application, initial applications are pro-rated through the first year.
Apply for registration as a Registered Foreign Lawyer
Log in to mySRA to apply, go to start a new application