Apply to register as a foreign lawyer
Updated June 2023
Step by step guide
Who can apply
For an application to succeed, four basic requirements must be fulfilled:
- You must be a foreign lawyer (An RFL is a 'foreign lawyer' who is registered with us and therefore appears on our register of RFLs.).
- The profession of which you are a member must be approved by us as appropriately regulated.
- Your own professional rules must allow practice with solicitors in England and Wales.
- You must satisfy us as to your character and suitability.
- You must read the full criteria and guidance to check you are eligible.
Get ready to apply
- Log in to mySRA to apply. You will need to create an account if you don't already have one. You'll need to register a personal phone number when you do this. We'll then send you a text or call to verify your identity every time you access mySRA.
- You will need to upload a certificate of good standing from each bar, law society or chamber of which you are a member. This whether or not you are still practising as a member of that profession.
How to apply
You will need to update:
- your account details, professional and personal
- your existing jurisdiction
- the authorised body or firm you will be working for.
How to pay
You can pay by credit or debit card at the end of your application.
Find about what fees you will pay.
Apply for registration as a Registered Foreign Lawyer
Log in to mySRA to apply, go to start a new application