Recording and evaluating your learning and development activity
The key points you need to remember about this section are:
- Record the activity you have undertaken to address your learning and development needs
- Evaluating your learning and development activity will help you identify any key points you can introduce into your practice or where further learning and development is required
- It is important to record your activity and evaluation in order to demonstrate that you are addressing your learning and development needs.
Once you have completed activity to address your learning and development need(s), it is important to:
What do we mean by a development record?
One way of capturing this information is through a development record. A development record contains information that enables you to demonstrate that you have taken appropriate steps to maintain your competence and provide a proper standard of service. We do not prescribe a specific approach, however, for each of your identified learning and development need(s) you may find it useful to record:
- what you did;
- how it was related to ensuring your competence;
- what you learnt;
- when the activity was completed.
It may be appropriate for you to continue to capture learning and development using existing systems or adapting them to capture this information.
You can evaluate the effectiveness of learning and development activity you have completed by simply thinking about what you have learnt and considering whether it has met your identified need or whether you need to undertake further activity.
This process is important; it will help you understand if further learning and development is required to help you achieve what you set out to learn. It may also highlight new learning and development needs that you were not previously aware of. Adopting this approach can help to ensure that you remain competent to provide a proper standard of service.
If you feel that the activity undertaken has satisfied your learning and development need, then you can record this information. If it did not, or new needs have emerged, then you need to think about how you plan to address them.
How do you record and evaluate you learning and development activity?