Existing firm applications
Updated 17 August 2016
Apply to change the legal entity of your firm
Who is this application for?
- To change a recognised sole practice to a limited company
- To change a partnership to a LLP or limited company or vice versa
There must be no other material changes to the existing management, ownership or structure.
The existing body must cease at the time the new one starts to trade.
To make material changes, apply using our full new firm FA1 application form.
What are material changes?
- splitting into two or more new entities
- adding new managers and/or owners who are not deemed approved
- key individuals not continuing their role in the new entity (the person qualified to supervise, a compliance officer, a sole lawyer manager or a sole non-lawyer manager/owner)
- changing from an existing partnership or other entity that has more than one manager to a recognised sole practice
- changing the management completely
- creating a new entity if the existing entity and new entity are both LLPs or both limitedcompanies
- other regulatory changes (e.g. changing a recognised body partnership to a licensed body limited company, changing a licensed body partnership to a licensed body limited company operating under the new multi-disciplinary practice model)
- creating a new entity if the training principal will not be part of the new structure
What are non-material changes?
A non-material change does not have a substantive impact on the ownership, management, or operation of a firm, and does not have the potential todestabilise or increase the risk of the firm.
Example of non-material changes include:
- adding more than one deemed approved manager/owner if they meet the criteria set out in Rule 13.2 of the SRA Authorisation Rules 2011
- the departure of non-key individuals (key individuals are the person qualified to supervise, a compliance officer, a sole lawyer manager or a sole non-lawyer manager/owner).
Help with your application
Contact us if you have any queries before you submit your application
How to apply
You need to complete a FA1b Change of Legal Entity (CLE) application form. Save the form before you start completing it. The application form is an editable PDF document and needs to be filled in electronically.
If you undertake financial services you may need to notify us about the services you deliver, you can submit a form (FA8) with your application.
If you carry out services that are subject to money laundering regulations you need to apply for Anti Money Laundering authorisation, you must submit a form (FA10) with this application.
Firm Authorisation application form for CLEs (FA1b) (Editable PDF 11 pages, 389K) Financial services notification form (FA8) (Editable PDF 6 pages, 1.4MB) Anti-Money Laundering notification form (FA10) (Editable PDF 8 pages, 1.3MB)
Send your application to the email address on the form. Please specify "CLE firm authorisation" in the subject line.
The fee is £200.
Recognised body applications - send payment with your application (ways to pay).
Licensed body applications - we will issue an invoice after we have accepted your application.
What you can expect from us
We will acknowledge your application within one working day. We will let you know if your application is incomplete or ineligible.
We aim to make a decision about your application within 30 days.
Your application is confidential.
Withdrawing an application
You can withdraw your application at any time before we make a decision.