The SRA Handbook is no longer in effect. It was replaced by the SRA Standards and Regulations on 25 November 2019.
Introduction to Specialist ServicesBack to version 21
Version 19 of the Handbook was published on 01/10/2017. For more information, please click 'History' Above
Introduction to Specialist Services
This section of the Handbook contains the following rules which apply when you provide certain specialist services to your clients:
- SRA Property Selling Rules - these apply when you provide property selling services through your law firm;
- SRA Financial Services (Scope) Rules and the SRA Financial Services (Conduct of Business) Rules - these apply when you are not authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority and carry on exempt regulated activities for your clients;
- SRA European Cross-border Practice Rules - these apply to your European cross-border practice.
These rules must be read in conjunction with the Principles. The Principles underpin all aspects of practice, including your European cross-border practice, insolvency practice and the provision of property selling and financial services.
The desired outcomes that apply to these specialist services are that:
- clients receive a proper standard of service, and are treated fairly, when they purchase specialist services;
- you uphold the reputation of the legal profession in England and Wales by co-operating with European lawyers in the spirit of the CCBE Code;
- you maintain trust in the legal profession by providing estate agency services in the spirit of the legislation governing estate agents;
- your financial services are provided to the same standard as required by the Financial Conduct Authority and in a manner that maintains confidence in the legal profession.