Background to the SQE
This information was published, as part of the SQE development process. This remains on our site for information purposes. Visit the main SQE page for the latest information.
Solicitors Qualifying Examination (SQE)
Our Board have decided to introduce a single, rigorous assessment for all aspiring solicitors on 1 September 2021.
The SQE will mean everyone meets the same consistent, high standards at the point they become a solicitor.
An effective competence statement for solicitors
Our Statement of Solicitor Competence sets out what solicitors need to be able to do to perform their role effectively, and which provides everyone with a clear indication of what they can expect from their solicitor. This is what the SQE assessments will be testing.
What we have done
Final SQE design
Decision to proceed with final SQE design.
SQE pilotsWe carried out two pilots to test the new SQE assessments.
We have carried out three public consultations relating to the SQE:
- A new route to qualification: New regulations
- A new route to qualification: the Solicitors Qualifying Examination
- Training for Tomorrow: assessing competence
Research and reports
- Draft assessment specification
- SQE Briefing
- SQE: monitoring and maximising diversity
- Qualification in other jurisdictions– international benchmarking
- Introduction of the Solicitors Qualifying Examination: Monitoring and Maximising Diversity
- QLTS assessment methods
- Workforce Education and Training Arrangements in Regulated Entities
- The LETR report