Decision - Fined
Outcome date: 30 November 2021
Published date: 17 January 2022
Firm or organisation at time of matters giving rise to outcome
Name: Jinnah Solicitors
Address(es): Boardman House, 64 Broadway, Stratford, London E15 1NT
Firm ID: 608165
This outcome was reached by SRA decision.
Financial penalty of £2,000 and the SRA’s costs of £600 in investigating this matter.
Javaid Iqbal Wattoo was the owner and manager of Jinnah Solicitors which was a recognised body whose head office was at Boardman House 64 Broadway Stratfor London E15 1NT. The firm closed on 31 August 2020.
It was found that Mr Wattoo failed to cooperate with the SRA’s investigation of his conduct:
- By failing to provide information and documents he was asked to produce to SRA staff.
- By delaying the production of information and documents to SRA staff.
- By not fully responding to statutory notices served on him.
In doing so Mr Wattoo:
- Breached Principle 7 of the SRA Principles 2011.
- Failed to achieve Outcome 10.8 of the SRA Code of Conduct 2011.
- Breached Paragraphs 7.3 and 7.4 of the Code of Conduct for Solicitors, RELs and RFLs 2019.
SRA Principle 7 and Outcome 10.8 SRA Code of Conduct 2011: You must comply with your legal and regulatory obligations and deal with your regulators and ombudsmen in an open, timely and co-operative manner.
Paragraphs 7.3 7.4 Code of Conduct for Solicitors, RELs and RFLs 2019: You cooperate with the SRA, other regulators, ombudsmen, and those bodies with a role overseeing and supervising the delivery of, or investigating concerns in relation to, legal services.
You respond promptly to the SRA and provide full and accurate explanations, information and documents in response to any request or requirement; and ensure that relevant information, which is held by you, or by third parties carrying out functions on your behalf which are critical to the delivery of your legal services, is available for inspection by the SRA.
Mr Wattoo was ordered to pay a financial penalty of £2,000 and the SRA’s costs of £600 in investigating this matter.