Firm bulk renewal application (2019/20)
02 September 2019
Practising certificate and registration renewals will take place throughout October.
To help you get ready, here is a summary of the application questions.
Section 1 - Getting started
This tells you what your application is for and what information you need to give us.
Section 2 - Client money
Did the organisation, or individuals within your organisation, hold or receive client money or operate a client's own account as signatory in the 12 months to 31 October 2019?
If you answer ‘yes’, three further questions are asked:
- What was the largest statement or passbook balance obtained when undertaking monthly reconciliations in the 12 months to 31 August 2019?
- What was the smallest statement or passbook balance obtained when undertaking monthly reconciliations in the 12 months to 31 August 2019?
- What was the average statement or passbook balance obtained when undertaking monthly reconciliations in the 12 months to 31 August 2019?
You should also be aware of the following:
Money held outside a client account
If you have held client money in an account other than a client account, such as a trustee account or in the organisation's office account, you should also answer ‘yes’ to the holding client money question above.
Holding client money includes:
- client money held by the principals, such as salaried and/or associate partners, in an unincorporated practice
- client money held by either the company or LLP in an incorporated practice.
Section 3 - Indemnity insurance
Is the organisation exempt, or partially exempt, under Annex 2 of the SRA Indemnity Insurance Rules?
If your firm is not exempt, you will need to tell us:
- policy number
- policy start and end dates.
Section 4 - Associations
Do you have or did you have any arrangements with third parties (an introducer), including other lawyers, for the introduction of work to your organisation in your last complete accounting period?
If you need to tell us of such arrangements, you will be asked for this information:
- organisation or individual’s name
- date the arrangement began
- main type of work
- percentage of the organisation's turnover arising from this arrangement
- total sum paid and the value of other consideration paid or given to the introducer or fee sharer during your last complete accounting period.
Does your organisation have arrangements to (directly or indirectly) share your own professional fees with another individual or business?
The same information as for introducers is asked for here.
Section 5 - Involvement/influence
Does your organisation (including any managers) have any arrangements, relationships or connections with third parties that may allow another party to have any influence over the running of the organisation?
Section 6 - Other roles
Tell us if the authorised body or any of its practising certificate holders or managers own, are connected with, participate in or (authorised body only) are owned by:
- a separate business that engages in non-reserved legal activities relating to the law of England and Wales
- a separate business to which clients of the authorised body or aspects of their case are referred, signposted or transferred
- a separate business which is jointly advertised or promoted with the authorised body (including sharing a website, offering joint services or bidding for work together).
Briefly describe the nature of the separate business or businesses and their links to the authorised body, practising certificate holder or manager.
Section 7 - Fee earners
State the number of legally qualified fee earners (full-time equivalent) currently based in your offices in England and Wales.
State the number of non-legally qualified fee earners (full-time equivalent) currently based in your offices in England and Wales.
Section 8 - Negligence claims
How many claims were made against the organisation in the last complete indemnity period?
How many claims were paid, whether by the insurer or the organisation, in the last complete indemnity period?
Section 9 - First tier complaints as set out by the Legal Service Board
Has your organisation received any complaints in the last 12 months to 31 August 2019?
If you answer 'yes', you will be asked to enter the number of complaints against each of these categories:
- complaints received
- complaints resolved
- referred to Legal Ombudsman.
Section 10 - Turnover
What was your organisation's total turnover from your last complete accounting period, arising from work undertaken from offices in England and Wales? The latest acceptable accounting period end date will be 31 October 2019.
Has your accountant provided written confirmation of the above figure?
Section 11 - Financial questions
Does any single client, group of clients or referral source account for more than 20 percent of your turnover for the last complete accounting period?
Section 12 - Areas of work
Provide a breakdown of the areas of work undertaken, sorted by percentage of turnover provided as part of this application.
What percentage of the areas of work undertaken by your organisation is funded by legal aid?
Section 13 - Persons in office
This Section allows you to update the details of solicitors, registered European lawyers and registered foreign lawyers in your organisation.
Section 14 - Summary
You can select the 'Summary' link to view a summary of your answers, or you can go straight to the next page.
Section 15 - Fee/declaration/payment
This is where you will confirm that the information you are providing in your application is correct. The declaration statement must be ticked to proceed.
Help and guidance
For help completing the forms or using mySRA, see our user guides.