Existing firm applications
Updated 25 November 2019
Apply to add new managers or owners
What is this application for?
Some individuals and entities do not need to apply for approval as managers and owners; check the criteria in rule 13.2 of the SRA Authorisation of Firms Rules.
We approve the following:
- individual managers,
- individual owners, and
- managers and/or owners which are an entity
Managers or owners must not take up their role until they have been approved.
Deemed approved Solicitor, REL or RFL
You need to tell us in advance of a new deemed approved manager or owner joining the firm. You can add details of deemed approved individual managers in the firm’s mySRA account.
To tell us about a deemed approved owner, you need to complete form FA4.
Information you need
- Personal details, work history, professional regulation, suitability to fulfil role
- Certificates of Good Standing if regulated by another regulator
- Individuals who are not SRA-authorised need to register on mySRA before you send in your application.
Help with your application
Contact us if you have any queries before you submit your application.
How to apply
Individual managers and owners
- you need to submit separate Individual Approval application form (FA2) for each individual.
- individuals who are not SRA-authorised need to register on mySRA before you send in your application.
If another organisation, which is not an authorised body, will be a manager or owner, you need to apply for entity manager/owner approval (form FA3).
Deemed managers and owners
Use the Notification form (form FA4) if another authorised body will be a manager or owner and it is deemed approved.
You can also use form FA4 to tell us about:
- a deemed approved individual owner who is a solicitor, REL or RFL
- a deemed approved individual manager/owner who is a lawyer.
The forms are editable PDFs and must be completed electronically. You must save a copy of the form to your computer before you start to fill it in.
The forms are editable PDFs and must be completed electronically. You must save a copy of the form to your computer before you start to fill it in. These forms are not compatible with Mac computers.
Non deemed approved individual managers and owners
Non deemed approved entity managers and owners
Deemed approved managers and owners
Send your application to the email address on the form, along with supporting documents.
Individuals need to have a mySRA account. You need to register on mySRA before your application can be accepted. Please check whether you already have a mySRA account before registering a new one. The CRM number should be submitted with the application.
There is no fee for this application.
What you can expect from us
We will acknowledge your application within one working day. We will let you know if your application is incomplete or ineligible.
We aim to make a decision about your application within 90 days. We usually decide within 30 days.
The manager and/or owner must not take up the role until they have been approved.