Decision - Employee-related decision
Outcome: Control of non-qualified staff (section 43 order)
Outcome date: 13 February 2020
Published date: 13 March 2020
Firm or organisation at time of matters giving rise to outcome
Name: Turpin and Miller LLP
Address(es): 1 Agnes Court, Oxford Road, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX4 2EW
Firm ID: 548864
This outcome was reached by SRA decision.
DISCIPLINARY DECISION FOR PUBLCIATION
On 18 August 2014, Ms Tegg commenced employment as a legal secretary/assistant with the recognised body, Turpin and Miller. Ms Tegg worked at the firm’s Reading office. The firm dismissed her on 22 June 2018 for gross misconduct.
During her employment, it was found that Ms Tegg:
- Misappropriated £342 from the firm.
- Fabricated a bank receipt in relation to the above sum of money.
- Failed to repay to the firm a salary overpayment of £300.17.
It was found that her conduct was dishonest and breached SRA Principles 2 and 6.
An order was made pursuant to section 43(2) of the Solicitors Act 1974 in relation to Ms Tegg. She was also given a written rebuke and was ordered to pay a £2,000 financial penalty. She was also ordered to pay the SRA's costs of £600 in investigating this matter.
ORDER FOR PUBLICATION
IN THE MATTER OF: Ms Leona Tegg of Lower Earley, Reading
A person who is or was involved in a legal practice but is not a solicitor
To make an order pursuant to section 43 that with effect from the date of the letter or email notifying Ms Tegg of Lower Earley, Reading of this decision:
- no solicitor shall employ or remunerate her in connection with his/her practice as a solicitor;
- no employee of a solicitor shall employ or remunerate her in connection with the solicitor's practice;
- no recognised body shall employ or remunerate her;
- no manager or employee of a recognised body shall employ or remunerate her in connection with the business of that body;
- no recognised body or manager or employee of such a body shall permit her to be a manager of the body; and
- no recognised body or manager or employee of such a body shall permit her to have an interest in the body
except in accordance with a Society permission.