Decision - Employee-related decision
Outcome: Control of non-qualified staff (Section 43 / Section 99 order)
Outcome date: 24 February 2022
Published date: 1 March 2022
Firm or organisation at time of matters giving rise to outcome
Name: ALISON LAW SOLICITORS LLP
Address(es): 437-441 London Road, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S2 4HJ
Firm ID: 573279
This outcome was reached by SRA decision.
ORDER FOR PUBLICATION
IN THE MATTER OF: Raees Khan of Bradford, Yorkshire
A person who is or was involved in a legal practice but is not a solicitor
On 28 February 2012, Mr Khan was convicted of conspiracy to handle stolen goods at the Bradford Crown Court. He was sentenced to nine years imprisonment. Mr Khan was employed by Alison Law Solicitors LLP (a recognised body) as a paralegal between 18 October 2016 and 31 July 2020.
Mr Khan, who is not a solicitor, was involved in a legal practice and has been convicted of a criminal offence which is such that it is undesirable for him to be involved in a legal practice in any of the ways described in the order below.
To make an order pursuant to section 43 that with effect from the date of the letter or email notifying Mr Khan of this decision:
- no solicitor shall employ or remunerate him in connection with his/her practice as a solicitor;
- no employee of a solicitor shall employ or remunerate him in connection with the solicitor's practice;
- no recognised body shall employ or remunerate him;
- no manager or employee of a recognised body shall employ or remunerate him in connection with the business of that body;
- no recognised body or manager or employee of such a body shall permit him to be a manager of the body; and
- no recognised body or manager or employee of such a body shall permit him to have an interest in the body
except in accordance with the SRA’s prior written permission