McNicholas (nee Pasco)
Decision - Employee-related decision
Outcome: Control of non-qualified staff (Section 43 / Section 99 order)
Outcome date: 20 September 2021
Published date: 22 September 2021
Firm or organisation at time of matters giving rise to outcome
Name: Fairbrother & Darlow
Address(es): 13 Milbanke Court, Milbanke Way, Bracknell, RG12 1RP
Firm ID: 265043
Firm or organisation at date of publication
Name: Charles Platel & Partners (Solicitors) Limited (CP Law Limited)
Address(es): 2 Anvil Court, 50 Denmark Street, Wokingham, RG40 2BB
Firm ID: 192187
This outcome was reached by SRA decision.
ORDER FOR PUBLICATION
IN THE MATTER OF: Catherine McNicholas (nee Pasco) of Eversley Hampshire A person who was involved in a legal practice but is not a solicitor.
Between 2007 and January 2021 Ms McNicholas was employed as a conveyancing assistant by Fairbrother & Darlow, whose office is at 13 Milbanke Court, Milbanke Way, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RP.
It was found that Ms McNicholas fabricated three letters purportedly from the firm along with an invoice for £720. These contained false and misleading information and were used in connection with a legal dispute between a family member and a third party. The letters and invoice were provided to the third party and the court.
It was found that Ms McNicholas’ conduct was dishonest.
Ms McNicholas was ordered to pay the SRA’s costs of £600 in investigating this matter.
Ms McNicholas, who is not a solicitor, was involved in a legal practice and has occasioned or been a party to an act or default which involved such conduct on her part that it is undesirable for her to be involved in a legal practice in any of the ways described in the order below.
To make an order pursuant to section 43 that with effect from the date of the letter or email notifying Ms McNicholas of this decision:
- no solicitor shall employ or remunerate her in connection with his/her practice as a solicitor;
- no employee of a solicitor shall employ or remunerate her in connection with the solicitor's practice no recognised body shall employ or remunerate her;
- no manager or employee of a recognised body shall employ or remunerate her in connection with the business of that body;
- no recognised body or manager or employee of such a body shall permit her to be a manager of the body; and
- no recognised body or manager or employee of such a body shall permit her to have an interest in the body
except in accordance with the SRA’s prior written permission.