Register of licensed bodies (ABS)
Head of legal practice
Howard Sharkett (authorised by the Solicitors Regulation Authority)
Head of Finance and Administration
The firm is licensed to undertake the following reserved legal activities:
- Rights of audience
- Conduct of litigation
- Reserved instrument activities
- Probate activities
- Administration of oaths
Terms and conditions of the licence
The general conditions which apply to licensed bodies contained in Rule 8 of the SRA Authorisation Rules for Legal Services Bodies and Licensable Bodies as applicable.
Any obligation which may from time to time be imposed on [The Firm] or a manager, employee, or non-authorised interest-holder in [The Firm] by or under the SRA's licensing rules or by or under the LSA, or any other enactment.
The following additional conditions are imposed on KPMG LLP:Where a solicitor, registered foreign lawyer or registered European lawyer who is a manager, employee or owner of KPMG LLP is engaged in legal activity that is not regulated activity, then he or she should not act for a client where there is a conflict of interest unless the client has given informed consent and appropriate safeguards can be put in place that are consistent with the SRA Principles and maintain the confidentiality of the affairs of that client; andKPMG LLP will inform the SRA as soon as reasonably practicable in the event of it, or any part of its business: ceasing to be regulated by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW); and/or becoming the subject of any regulatory proceedings or sanctions by the ICAEW or any other regulator.
The information below is a summary of the waiver(s) granted.
- The following waivers have been granted to KPMG LLP:
A. A waiver from the SRA Indemnity Insurance Rules insofar as those used prescribed definitions of the following terms:
- 'participating insurer"
- 'qualifying insurance'
B. A waiver from Annex 1 to the SRA Indemnity Insurance Rules (the SRA Minimum Terms and Conditions of Professional Indemnity Insurance).
These waivers are subject to the condition that, should there be any material change in the terms and conditions of the insurance that KPMG LLP holds, or a reduction to the level of primary cover, it must immediately inform the SRA and this waiver may be amended or revoked with immediate effect.
- KPMG LLP has been granted a waiver from:
- Rules 8.6(a) and 8.7(c) of the SRA Authorisation Rules 2011, and
- Rule 18.2(c) of the SRA Practice Framework Rules 2011This waiver is granted subject to the conditions that:A. This waiver does not extend to the current or future members of the LLP who fall into one or more of the following groups or categories:
(i) Chairman and Senior Partner
(ii) Chief Operating Officer
(iii) Chief Risk Officer
(iv) Chief Financial Officer
(v) General Counsel
(vi) Chair of the Client & Markets Executive Group
(vii) Chair of the Risk Executive Group
(viii) Compliance Officer for Legal Practice (COLP)
(ix) Compliance Officer for Finance and Administration (COFA)
(x) Coverage Group Leaders for:
- Financial Services
- National Markets
(xi) Capability Group Leader for Tax, Pensions & Legal (TPL)
(xii) Performance Group Leaders for:
- TPL Financial Services
- TPL Corporate
- TPL National Markets
(xiii) Head of TPL Professional Practice Group
(xiv) TPL Head of Risk
(xv) Head of Legal Services
(xvi) Members within the legal services team(s)
- This waiver is granted on the basis of the governance structure information provided on 22 May 2019. Any changes to that structure, insofar as they relate to members or other persons who have influence, control or input in relation to the running or management of KPMG LLP’s legal service business, must be notified to the SRA in writing within 14 days of those changes taking place.
- These waivers are not time limited but are revocable upon reasonable notice.
Licence number : 615423
Granted on 1 October 2014
Effective from 1 October 2014
Company no. OC301540
KPMG LLP is not a quoted company or a subsidiary of, or part owned by, a quoted company.
Snow Hill Queensway
20 Station Road
Saltire Court, 20
1st Floor, Global House
West George Street
Lower Brook Street
1 Sovereign Square
Great Eastern Street
St James Square
Quayside House 110
Newcastle upon Tyne
East West Building
2 Tollhouse Hill
3 Long Bridge Road
Edward VII Quay
Arlington Business Park
The Pinnacle, 150
Salt Quay House, 6
North East Quay
2 Forbury Place, 33