Decision - Employee-related decision
Outcome: Control of non-qualified staff (section 43 order)
Outcome date: 12 November 2020
Published date: 30 November 2020
Firm or organisation at time of matters giving rise to outcome
Name: Das Law Limited
Address(es): North Quay, Temple Back, Bristol, BS1 6FL
Firm ID: 423113
This outcome was reached by SRA decision.
IN THE MATTER OF
Emily Elizabeth Bale a person who is or was involved in legal practice but is not a solicitor.
Emily Elizabeth Bale was employed at DAS Law Limited as a paralegal between 4 June 2018 and 24 June 2020 at North Quay Temple Back Bristol BS1 6FL.
In June 2020, Emily Elizabeth Bale missed a court hearing and amended correspondence on a client file to cover up her mistake. When initially asked about the hearing, she misled her employers by completing a report about the missed hearing with inaccurate information. When presented again with further evidence, she admitted to missing the hearing and to covering up her mistake.
It was found that Emily Elizabeth Bale had acted dishonestly.
Emily Elizabeth Bale is currently not working in a legal practice.
I find that Emily Elizabeth Bale is or was involved in a legal practice (as defined by section 43 (1A) of the Solicitors Act 1974) but is not a solicitor and has occasioned or been a party to, with or without the connivance of a solicitor, an act or default in relation to a legal practice which involved conduct on her part of such a nature that in the opinion of the Society it would be undesirable for her to be involved in a legal practice in any of the ways set out in the order below.
To make a section 43 order that with immediate effect:
- no solicitor shall employ or remunerate her in connection with his/her practice as a solicitor;
- no employee of a solicitor shall employ or remunerate her in connection with the solicitor’s practice;
- no recognised body shall employ or remunerate her;
- no manager or employee of a recognised body shall employ or remunerate her in connection with the business of that body;
- no recognised body or manager or employee of such a body shall permit her to be a manager of the body; and
- no recognised body or manager or employee of such a body shall permit her to have an interest in the body
except in accordance with an SRA permission.