Decision - Employee-related decision
Outcome: Control of non-qualified staff (Section 43 / Section 99 order)
Outcome date: 15 March 2022
Published date: 17 March 2022
Firm or organisation at time of matters giving rise to outcome
Name: Din Solicitors
Address(es): Second Floor, Venture House, Silver Street, Halifaz, West Yorkshire, HX1 1HS
Firm ID: 522076
This outcome was reached by SRA decision.
IN THE MATTER OF: Imran Khan (also known as Imran Khan Hussain and Haji Muhammed Khan) of Bradford, West Yorkshire
A person who is or was involved in a legal practice but is not a solicitor
Between 4 February 2020 and 17 February 2021, Mr Khan worked as a paralegal at Din Solicitors whose office is at Second Floor Venture House, Silver Street, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX1 1HS. The firm dismissed him for gross misconduct on 17 February 2021. It was found that Mr Khan missed a deadline for serving his clients’ disclosure list on a litigation matter. To try and conceal this he created a letter on 28 October 2020 and backdated it to 8 October 2020. He then amended the letter on 4 November 2020 and sent it to the defendant’s solicitors. The deadline for serving his clients’ disclosure list was 19 October 2020.
It was found that Mr Khan’s conduct was dishonest.
Mr Khan was ordered to pay the SRA’s costs of £600 in investigating this matter.
Mr Khan, who is not a solicitor, is or was involved in a legal practice and has occasioned or been a party to an act or default which involved such conduct on his part that it is undesirable for him to be involved in a legal practice in any of the ways described in the order below.
To make an order pursuant to section 43 that with effect from the date of the letter or email notifying Mr Khan of this decision:
- no solicitor shall employ or remunerate him in connection with his/her practice as a solicitor;
- no employee of a solicitor shall employ or remunerate him in connection with the solicitor's practice;
- no recognised body shall employ or remunerate him;
- no manager or employee of a recognised body shall employ or remunerate him in connection with the business of that body;
- no recognised body or manager or employee of such a body shall permit him to be a manager of the body; and
- no recognised body or manager or employee of such a body shall permit him to have an interest in the body
except in accordance with the SRA’s prior written permission.