Decision - Employee-related decision
Outcome: Control of non-qualified staff (Section 43 / Section 99 order)
Outcome date: 12 April 2016
Published date: 23 May 2016
Firm or organisation at time of matters giving rise to outcome
Name: Louise Stephens & Co
Address(es): Equity House, Tredegar Street, Risca, Newport, NP11 6BU
Firm ID: 194283
This outcome was reached by SRA decision.
In the matter of Mr Craig David Garrett of Risca, Newport, Gwent, a person who is or was involved in legal practice but is not a solicitor.
Section 43 Solicitors Act 1974 (as amended)
We find that Mr Garrett who is or was involved in a legal practice (as defined by section 43 (1A) of the Solicitors Act 1974) but is not a solicitor, has occasioned or been a party to, with or without the connivance of a solicitor, an act or default in relation to a legal practice which involved conduct on his part of such a nature that in the opinion of the Society it would be undesirable for him to be involved in a legal practice in any of the ways set out in the order 10 below.
To make an order pursuant to section 43 that with effect from the date of the letter or email notifying Mr Craig David Garrett of Risca, Newport, Gwent of this decision:
- no solicitor shall employ or remunerate him in connection with his/her practice as a solicitor;
- no employee of a solicitor shall employ or remunerate him in connection with the solicitor's practice;
- no recognised body shall employ or remunerate him;
- no manager or employee of a recognised body shall employ or remunerate him in connection with the business of that body;
- no recognised body or manager or employee of such a body shall permit him to be a manager of the body; and
- no recognised body or manager or employee of such a body shall permit him to have an interest in the body
except in accordance with a Society permission.
This order is subject to an internal right of appeal and a statutory right of review to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal.